1 of 3
Say Hi! You’ll get emailed when new members sign up…
Posted: 18 July 2009 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  639
Joined  2005-08-30

Hi, I’m Dave, and I’ve been writing for about 25 years.  RiotRealty, AKA Tess thought there should be one thread where EVERYONE could introduce themselves.  So this is it!  As long as you’ve left the default settings in place, the site will email you when others reply to this thread so you can meet members newer than you.

Thanks Tess for the idea to start this thread.

If we accept something you submitted, we’ll look for a new topic that you started and use that as your bio.

In fact, this is the post for my own bio, so here it is:

In college, I read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. After graduation from Revelle College, UCSD with a BS in Cognitive Science, I met Alex Boese, the curator of the Museum of Hoaxes in a creative writing course. I tutored people in math and science and writing and then landed a computer job. Like so many software engineers, I worked for several businesses that eventually ceased to exist. I co-founded StoragePoint.com, which crashed and burned like any good little dot-com company. While I continued finding work with software companies, I got involved with Slashdot and a few other sites where an open membership was allowed to register individuals’ judgments of quality. I studied a rarely used but highly efficient method of finding consensus that has been named after the French philosopher the Marquis de Condorcet.

A fellow software engineer introduced me to Austrian Economics and dredged up themes from Atlas Shrugged. He used Austrian Economics and Atlas Shrugged together to convince me that public policy inevitably leads to disaster. I now spend my time encouraging people to stop relying on political rulers for solutions, to consider the possibility that public policy is an avoidable evil, and to use the “Condorcet Method” to find consensus. This last item is the foundation on which I intend, with your help, to enrich the lives of everyone that gets involved with Litmocracy, 99 Burning, and other projects of which I am a part.

Click “New Topic” to enter a bio that we’ll use in Literal Translations when we publish something you wrote.
Click “Post Reply” to add a reply and get emails when other members do the same.

Posted: 22 July 2009 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2006-07-29

Hi!

I’m Star, AKA Chris, AKA other things people call me. You’ll see me here on and off, and hopefully more on than off. I want to invite everyone to submit to our monthly contests, to write to their hearts content in any of the other categories, and to send me their ideas, suggestions, comments or just any passing thought they have about Litmock or the world in general. Don’t hesitate to PM me, I only bite bedbugs.

I’m here to write, to draw, and to help out in general. Mostly I’m here because I believe in Litmocracy, and because I believe in the people who keep coming back, however often. I hope you will.

- Star

Signature 

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Editing your stuff: Because an apostrophe is often all that stands between writers who know their shit and writers who know they’re shit.

Posted: 05 October 2009 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-05

Hi!

Marcus here. I’m new and i plan to stay around the forums and i expect to read and learn some awesome stuff. Anyway, hello there Chris. I hope you could help me around the forums if i get lost. :p

Regards,
Marcus

Posted: 05 October 2009 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-30

Welcome!

Will we be seeing any writing from you?  I always like fresh voices grin.

Posted: 05 October 2009 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-07-12

Hello… I made this account forever ago and, of course, have barely done a thing. ^^;;

But yeah. I’m riotreality AKA Tess :D

Posted: 03 January 2010 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-03

Happy New Year to all! My name is Terry and I write a little bit of everything. At present, I’m writing a book of non fiction about the lives of myself and my brother, who just died from AIDS complication on Nov. 18/09. It’s an incredible story and in need of being told. I also love writing funny pieces and poetry. Life just needs lots of ha-ha’s.  grin

Posted: 04 January 2010 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-07-12

Hey Terry :3 I joined a while ago, but I’m still a newbie too, seeing as I forgot all about this site. Just felt like being friendly and greeting people for whatever reason c[:

I’m sorry to hear about your brother :\ It’s cool, though, that you can still be so pleasant when it happened so recently.

Posted: 22 January 2010 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-01-22

Thanks for post. It’s really imformative stuff.I really like to read.Hope to learn a lot and have a nice experience here! my best regards guys!

Posted: 06 July 2010 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-02

Hi, I’m Turtlecambodia, a friend of Julianyway, who introduced me to this interesting site.
I’ve written a ‘movie treatment’, called -Vampires don’t eat Rice-,  a story set in Cambodia and Thailand, which i will post when i work out how to do it.
i cut my literary teeth during submarine tours of the Falklands and Europe, my main trade being the boats ‘village idiot’ in the on-board magazine.
After the collapse of the Berlin wall, i tried ‘civvy street’, selling vacuum cleaners for a week, before returning to uniformed life delivering her majesty’s post in the Georgian city of Bath, England, for 16 years, (she sent a lot of letters).
For the past 5 years, i have mismanaged a small bar in Cambodia.
The main 2 ideas that got me into writing my story, were what would happen if a western vampire tasted red chillies in his victims blood, and, his reaction when his servant brings him a bride, who turns out to be a ‘katoy’ or lady-boy.
ps, its a comedy.
all the best, Turtlecambodia

Posted: 06 July 2010 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-30

Welcome, Turtle!

I made some changes a few weeks ago and then started advertising a little on Google, but I haven’t seen very many submissions from new members, so I’m worried that my changes have messed things up.  There are a few ways to do it, and I hope that a little staring at the home page will lead you down one.  If you have any suggestions for making things easier, don’t hesitate to let me know.

And that goes for the rest of you too!

Dave.

Posted: 29 July 2010 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-29

Hi my name is Laura and i just join today. My passion is writing and i love to write all the time. Look forward to enjoying this website and possibly getting my writing out there. wink

Posted: 29 July 2010 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-30

Hi Laura, I’m glad you signed up.  I’m always looking forward to fresh voices.

Posted: 01 November 2010 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-01

Hey I am Brad and I am a aspiring writer, just want to say hi

Posted: 02 November 2010 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-30

Hi Brad,

Don’t forget to to create a “topic” here for yourself - it will serve as your bio if something you write is accepted into Literal Translations.

Posted: 03 December 2010 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-11-30

This site will attract more visitors if the posting of links to bio & signature section is allowed as other online forums.

Posted: 03 December 2010 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-30

It’s a feature that you get by asking.  It cuts down on a lot of spam.  If you look around the forums, you’ll see a few messages here and there that are pretty bland.  Those are from folks who only signed up in order to create another SEO link to a website they’re promoting.  Anyway, I enabled it for you.

Dave.

1 of 3