Posted: 20 September 2006 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  639
Joined  2005-08-30

I think my time preference leans toward the future rather than the present, perhaps a little too much.  I am patient to a fault.  I have started trying to find more enjoyment from the moments I am in (instead of foregoing the enjoyment in order to create even better circumstances in the future).  I think this is one of the few great things that happens to people who learn that they have a terminal illness.  Anyway, where in this spectrum do you find yourself, generally?

Posted: 19 November 2006 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2006-03-30

From reading your essay (Syria) and some of these posts, it seems to me that you are a person of brilliant insight and awareness. That, to me, is as rare and treasured a find as all the good writings that people are oft hoping for on literary boards. It’s like reading Nietzsche for the first time, and you say - Jaysuz, there’s actually another human who thinks like me - wow, he must be really smart. Anyway, I find that as intriguing and rewarding as anything on the great God internet.

But, to your question. The moment is absolute sanity - unless all you can do is hope for something better in the golden future time; or long for the wondrous joy long since faded away. I’ve always wanted to live in the moment, but…

Posted: 20 November 2006 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2006-07-29

There is a song from a Quebec band that I really like, it’s called ‘Les étoiles filantes’ (the shooting stars) and it talks about how in the end we’re no more than shooting stars. How we remember our childhood and barely live through the present because we’re thinking of the future. The song is about realizing that we should really enjoy our short time before burning out.

I found that lately I have begun to really enjoy life more, because I allow myself to draw and write just for the fun of it. For a time, I drew for clients and prospective audiences, trying to please other people. I listened to what they wanted to see, and what colors they wanted to match their living rooms. I now allow myself more time to simply experiment, and draw for the fun of it, regardless of the end product. I do the same with my writing.

To me, this is what art is all about and I had forgotten that because I was stuck mourning the time lost in the past and expecting too much of the future. I find everything I do now is much more vibrant, but mostly more satisfying. And people seem to like it more, too.

All this to say that all the time I thought I wasted served to make me realize how much more time there is right now smile

Signature 

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Editing your stuff: Because an apostrophe is often all that stands between writers who know their shit and writers who know they’re shit.

Posted: 20 November 2006 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  639
Joined  2005-08-30

Thanks, Stokey.

I don’t know how to respond to such praise in any other way, so I’ve been sitting here not working - during work hours - because I guess I’m honoring the moment wink.  Today I also received the first ever request to cancel a Litmocracy account.  So everything is in balance, I guess.  Back to the grindstone now, because I can’t feed the kids if I don’t have money, and starved children are not as much fun to play with.

‹‹ Ludy      Reflection ››