Posted: 24 February 2007 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-02-23

I’m thinking of writing articles for each of the months explaining how they were named.

Posted: 24 February 2007 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  639
Joined  2005-08-30

If they are as good as this one, I will probably publish them all.  I loved this.  The only gate is that others have to also like them enough to justify publishing them (there’s my guarantee of quality grin ).  Most articles I’ve read that discuss the Christian tradition of replacing pagan holidays display an obvious bias (which I share), but yours seemed to avoid it.  However, since I share the bias, I might not be a very good judge.

Here’s a list of other things that I’d be interested in reading about:

The relationship between playing cards and nature (13 weeks per season, two hot seasons, two cold… is there more?)

The effect of seasons on the short development stages of human infants (as a basis for astrology, though obviously at serious odds with the mystical underpinnings of astrology itself).

How seasonal rituals formed in the southern hemisphere relate to those in the northern hemisphere (Summer is Winter, etc.).  The Australians on this site should have some good input on this since, if I remember correctly, much of developed Australia is inhabited by people whose recent ancestors were from the northern hemisphere.

Tie our experience to the Earth, not to the mystical places described in the holy books, for it is here that we live and die.

Posted: 24 February 2007 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-02-23

Thank you for your positive remarks.

I’ll look into the other topics you mentioned and see what I come up with.

Of course, as you say, it depends on how many others like what I write that will matter.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed.  Hmmm, wonder what the origin of that is.

‹‹ How the Details get Lost      Reflection ››