January 25, 2008
Posted: 26 January 2008 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  639
Joined  2005-08-30

Got Facebook?
Social Networking is becoming ever more useful.  Several companies are working on providing frameworks that support cross-site social networks.  What this means is that it would allow one website to recognize users from another website.  This is part of the reason for the Better Poll application at Facebook that I made.

Better Poll aims to provide you with a new tool. Vote in polls that your friends made and you’ll be able to add your own answer, something people will be able to champion, if it’s good, funny, entertaining, helpful, or whatever.  If you make answers with staying power, you’ll get to create your own poll yourself.  It’s really designed for creative people, but I’m trying to make it accessible enough to encourage others to become more creative.  Please check it out if you have a little time.  I suspect that once it catches on and people understand what it’s doing, it will propel Litmocracy forward.

Calling All Soothsayers
Following is a list of changes that I am about to make to Litmocracy.  Please reply either in disgust and frustration or with praises and kudos as you see fit.  Constructive criticism is the best.  The (cc) mark below indicates items that are a result of others’ input last time I proposed changes.  So you have some sway.  And you have a few days to sway me grin

* Submissions are no longer presented in pairs, but one at a time.
* The ranking table is now the only way to vote and it appears on the right side.
* (cc)The item to add next to your list will be presented without the author.  I’ve noticed myself being biased by the byline.  If you must know, you can click the permalink.
* (cc) Selecting a category (from Table of Contents) will use it as a filter so you’ll get an item from that category to add to your list.
* Visiting the homepage will present the next unranked submission regardless of category.
* (cc)Voting statistics for everything lumped together are now available from the home page.
* (cc)Voting statistics will show the top ten pieces.  However, a category may have fewer than 10 pieces in it.
* Your ranked list can now contain up to 40 submissions.
* You may have up to 8 submissions in the running at one time
* In order to post, the ratio of items in your list to submissions you have in the running must be at least 5 to 1.

These changes are intended to provide you all with more control over the mixture of pieces from different categories that get published in Literal Translations.  This also uses a simpler software architecture that makes my life easier.

Posted: 27 January 2008 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2006-03-30

These changes sound good Dave. I sure as heck don’t wanna know who the author is when I vote, ‘cause that’s not fair. Wanna vote on the writing, not the writer. But…if I really like a piece, then I wanna know who wrote it. And, how’s that gonna work in the submission discussion venue?

Posted: 27 January 2008 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  639
Joined  2005-08-30

I thought about the submission discussion.  My policy for many rules is basically to provide a soft enforcement of them through technology, meaning that there is usually a way around the rule, but that it’s easier just to follow the rule.  So you can figure out who the author is, either by clicking permalink or the discussion link, but let’s all encourage each other to vote before we do that.

Note that once a submission is in your list, you’ll be able to use the >> widget to re-read it, and when you do that, you’ll be able to see who wrote it and participate in the discussion.  And it’s right there in your list.  And if you hover on the >>, you can see what the current rank of it is.  All the time.  I like the changes more and more as I think about them.  I’ll probably deploy them early next week.

Dave.

Posted: 28 January 2008 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-11-02
Dave Scotese - 26 January 2008 08:59 AM

The item to add next to your list will be presented without the author.  I’ve noticed myself being biased by the byline.  If you must know, you can click the permalink.

I especially like this one. I’ve noticed the same bias in my own voting despite the fact that I try to be “objective.”

Posted: 28 February 2008 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2005-10-05

I loooooove having just one item instead of two side by side appear.
I like the hidden byline. Makes me focus on reading the content, and not pre-judging the work.
I love the quick ranking feature.
I think the review five, post one is a good balance.

Posted: 29 February 2008 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  343
Joined  2006-12-13

I liked having them side by side.
The hidden byline is good. 
Haven’t figured out quick ranking feature yet.
Review five and post one is a good balance but I got ripped off, schnarf.

‹‹ January 14, 2008      February 1, 2008 ››