Posted: 23 December 2008 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-12-22

What is the author’s aesthetic (what makes the piece attractive)?

(Click the post title to read the submission.)

Posted: 24 December 2008 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2005-08-30

The aesthetic for me is the comparison between what readers think they’d do in the same situation and what the character does.  I rather enjoy the parts where the contrast breaks down… “Robert won’t mind” and “stoically losing.” (BTW, you put two Os in “losing”).  The end comes too fast.  I want more.

Posted: 29 December 2008 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-22

Thanks Dave, for pointing out the spelling error, and for your comments.  I’d hoped that would be the attractive part.

Sincerely,
Yv

Posted: 22 February 2009 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-12-31

Loved this!  I loved the description of Elizabeth at the start and the phrase “Robert wouldn’t mind”, used always as a chorus to delineate stanzas.

A well-written character!

Unlike Dave, I’m not sure I would really want to go on with it, though!  Reading about a woman self-destructing is VERY DEPRESSING!

Rosemary

Posted: 22 February 2009 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-30

Perhaps I am too hopeful, or too American.  I figure that if you keep the story going, it will find a natural ending, and that ending will be… maybe not a happy ending, but at least one that shows a character prepared to deal a little more effectively with life, or a character who finally gets just desserts.

Posted: 23 February 2009 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-22

Thanks Rosemary/Charlie Britton.  I appreciate your…appreciation!

Dave, I hope one’s national status has nothing to do with how one finds a story!  I understand what you mean - you’d like closure in this.  Thank you for sharing.

Best,
Yvette

Posted: 23 February 2009 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-31

Stretch, take my comment as a compliment.  The reason I found it depressing was precisely because it was so well- written. 

Dave, there wasn’t much space for her to “reform” in such a short story.

Rosemary

Posted: 23 February 2009 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-30
stretch - 23 February 2009 01:09 PM

Dave, I hope one’s national status has nothing to do with how one finds a story…

I do believe we are trained by our national character, if not intentionally guided to think a certain way, at least immersed in a relatively unique culture.  And that’s Ok because diversity is a good thing.

Posted: 23 February 2009 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-31

Yes, I agree totally.  Attitudes are formed by common experiences and a common history, particularly in a small country like ours.

Posted: 14 April 2009 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-12-22
Dave Scotese - 23 February 2009 03:39 PM
stretch - 23 February 2009 01:09 PM

Dave, I hope one’s national status has nothing to do with how one finds a story…

I do believe we are trained by our national character, if not intentionally guided to think a certain way, at least immersed in a relatively unique culture.  And that’s Ok because diversity is a good thing.

Too true, but we have many fundamental things in common, regardless of what country we inhabit.  We share language, and the subtle nuances it provides.  We share common culture - religion - ehtics, and often we share a commonality in those authors we consider genius, or whose works we consider classic.

Since we learn to write by reading, in a vary basic manner, we have a greater likelyhood of ‘finding’ stories similar.

I think.

‹‹ NAGGING CHICKEN BLUES      Reflection ››