About Sounds and Words
Posted: 20 November 2006 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2006-11-20

Hello,

This seems to be the place where writers write about themselves and say hello to each other.
I was contacted out of the blue on my MySpace page by one of your members (Stokey), who asked me, if I would not consider putting my poetry online here. Well, here I am… wink
About me, I am first a musician (1st flute in symphonic orchestra in Paris, France) and then a writer. Music and words are like a Janus face, even if you only pay attention to one of them, they really belong to the same head…what one of them can’t express, the other will.
As a musician, I am very attracted not only by the meaning of things, but by their sound as well; each language, each culture has their own music and there is music to found in each language. This is usually very visible in the poetry. I only speak three languages, but have found specific beauty in poetry in each of them, that can’t be translated without loosing something and gains in expression and depth when read aloud. This said, I very much separate song lyrics from poetry, lyrics may have as much beauty as a poem, but they usually have to adapt and conform to the requirements in stanza and rhythm of the music they accompany, they are symbiotic and one can’t go without the other. It is different with other, non verbal music, just as poetry can stand alone. One could think that these are three families, who draw their inspiration from the same source…
Of realise that as a way of introduction this is rather weird. But hey, I’m a flutist. We are always weird. Anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to get to know you all and your work…

Signature 

“Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
- Victor Hugo

Posted: 21 November 2006 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2006-07-29

Welcome Flute!

I am looking forward to reading your poems smile

Signature 

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Editing your stuff: Because an apostrophe is often all that stands between writers who know their shit and writers who know they’re shit.

Posted: 21 November 2006 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-20

Thanks

A couple of them are already blogged here… don’t hesitate to leave honest and constructive feedback (as in ‘shred me’) smile

Signature 

“Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
- Victor Hugo

Posted: 23 November 2006 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-20

This forum seems to be in hibernation. I’ll check again in spring then…

Signature 

- Victor Hugo

Posted: 25 November 2006 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2005-08-30

Welcome Flute!  I play the flute a little bit, but as a child plays at being a surgeon, I suppose.  The forum is not so much in hibernation as growing very slowly.  I’m glad you visited us and please accept my apologies for the slow response.  There are some things I should be doing to help keep the site moving forward, and I’m not doing them.  We’re growing, but slowly.

If you do post more of your work, or you’d like to add a discussion link to the bottom of your poems, please check out this post.

Posted: 25 November 2006 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  240
Joined  2005-09-15

ah,

Flute, welcome to the lair. I agree with your piece excepting this; The right words are indeed music, transcending cadence, rythym, and time. The right music tells a story, no need for words at all. Art is the ability to paint a picture using any medium, true art is simply a “painted” picture of a moment in time, an emotion, or an ideal that has been accurately portrayed using whatever device the artist has employed.

Enjoy litmock, and welcome aboard.

Posted: 27 November 2006 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-20
Dave Scotese - 25 November 2006 07:29 PM

If you do post more of your work, or you’d like to add a discussion link to the bottom of your poems, please check out this post.

Thank you for your welcome, Dave. I guess I’m too blonde to figure out how to link a new discussion thread to an existing poem, even with your directions, but I think that I have figured out now how to create one, when I post a new poem smile

Deminizer, I think I would never dare to pretend that I know what ‘true art’ is. I think it’s in the eye of the beholder, to me, if there is an emotion transfert of something sublime, then art happened…

Signature 

- Victor Hugo

Posted: 27 November 2006 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

that’s the point. you can’t pretend, you have to know.

Posted: 27 November 2006 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-20

and your point is?

Signature 

- Victor Hugo

Posted: 27 November 2006 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

welcome to a place where you can judge art as you see fit; vote away, critique, write, and enjoy.

Posted: 27 November 2006 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-20

Sure. Will do that smile
don’t be worried if I disappear from time to time for a while though… for me, music comes first…

Signature 

- Victor Hugo

‹‹ StarLizard      Darren Swift ››