An experiment in curiosity
Posted: 12 December 2009 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2005-08-30

I’ll lay it all out for you.

At first I wanted to make an elaborate web page designed to create intense curiosity about “THE MESSAGE”.  It would be touted in fancy fonts and attractive make-them-buy colors so that they would pay $5 to read the message.  This marketing page would provide those willing to pay the $5 entry fee the ability to alter the advertising of “THE MESSAGE”, and profit from their alterations if they proved useful.  So I had a lot of coding to work on.

I know what the message is, and I’ve told a few people, but a good writer doesn’t give you the climax until the rising action has squeezed every last possible bit of pleasure into the reader’s life, so enjoy the ride while you’re here.

I got tired of waiting for the motivation to undertake the creation of the marketing page.  Having found myself home today without the wife and kids (who are cheer mom and cheerleaders, respectively), I thought a better approach than the elaborate system that keeps daunting me is an extremely stark system that accomplishes the very basic task of getting money from people in return for a bit of education - but collecting the money FIRST, because we’ve been taught (incorrectly, I might add) that good education is free.  It isn’t.  The free kind is actually bad for you.  Read some John Taylor Gatto or Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt or John Holt.

So the stark system is very simple.  Here it is.  I will invite you to satisfy your curiosity for a random amount of money.  When enough people have agreed to pay the money in return for the satisfaction, the results will be somewhat interesting and hopefully useful:  Are more people willing to pay to satisfy their curiosity when the price is lower?  The prices are randomly selected from $2, $3, $4, and $5.  What was yours?  If you haven’t visited yet, what do you think you’d be willing to pay?

If you don’t pay, each time you visit, you get a message encouraging you to view the results of the experiment (for the originally offered fee).  Once you pay, you get to see how many people paid each price, how many times, on average, they visited before paying, how many times after paying (if they paid), and the complete list of encouraging messages.

One enhancement I’ll make with only a tiny bit of prodding is for participants to add to the list of encouraging messages.  Do you have a coderprod?

That’s all there is to it, and for those of you visiting because you just paid and you wanted to learn more, thank you for supporting our research!  I personally believe that once you get anyone really thinking about something, just about everyone has something useful to say.  That’s why I invited you, and why I think whatever you paid to participate was well worth it.  So what have you got to say?

Posted: 15 January 2010 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-15

I think your idea is really interesting and I’d love to experiment with that but spending money is…;-)

‹‹ Music as a muse      Concept combination ››