Sunday, September 25, 2005

Multiple Accounts Suspected

Category:
Please Register or Login to check out Multiple Accounts Suspected Back to Voting

• I have no problem w/ it. Go right ahead. I think it’s a shame someone has to cheat.

—D. Eminizer

Posted by deminizer  on  09/25  at  09:43 PM
  • The multiple account holder has contacted me, given permission to say who it is, and requested that the extra accounts be kept along with their rankings.  From the current set of rankings, it appears that the extra accounts are not (yet) being used to provide an advantage to any one entry.

Since I made ballot box stuffing legal, this member decided to conduct an experiment to see what the reaction would be.  I’m interested in the result as well.  I’m wondering which will happen first; that the process of elimination I set up will make everyone realize who it is, or that member will ‘fess up.

I expect an interesting report from this member when the contest is over.  I believe the member sees value in the site and will want to repair any damage to reputation.

By the way, I should mention that I need to fix a bug in the votestats page which fails to count both entries when a user places two entries at the same rank.  I ranked literacygame.com and darwinize.com both at first, but darwinize.com doesn’t show as ranked in 1st by anyone.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  09/26  at  02:30 AM
  • I have an account and my hubby has an account, tho I don’t know if he’s voted or not.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  09/26  at  11:23 AM
  • Winona, you can click the link at the top of the category page that says “Domain ranking statistics” to see who has done ranking, how many people have put entries first, second, and third, and how far ahead each entry is.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  09/26  at  12:58 PM
  • I’ve added a rule against using more than one account to vote in a given category, so this is no longer a legal strategy.  When fake3haha showed up, it made me feel like the tool I am providing is being abused so I added the rule.  However, I thank fake3haha for counteracting the other fake accounts.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  09/27  at  10:28 PM
  • Dave,

Quick question, would this count for multiple accounts in a household? ie: my husband voting in the same category I do?

Thanks!
    W

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  09/27  at  10:33 PM
  • Winona,

No, but if your husband’s account is used by you to submit a second ranked list, then you’d be breaking the rule although undetectably.

If you discussed the rankings with him and you both happened to decide on the same ordering, then it’s legitimate.  I would expect there to be slight differences though.

If you entered his rankings for him and they were different from your own, you’d be breaking the rule technically but without causing any ill effects and that would be fine.

Kim and I found that we had slight differences in our lists that weren’t entirely related to entries that the two of us posted.  The ranking system helps the entire group cancel out each other’s biases.  I think fake and fake2 and fake3haha’s attempts could have been drowned out if there were 10 people ranking.  I’m still trying to figure out how to get people to participate in the ranking more.  That problem might go away since ranking is now encouraged by a prize.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  09/28  at  12:12 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification - I’ll let Erik know.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  09/28  at  03:16 PM