New Girl
Posted: 15 January 2011 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-01-15

Looking forward to reading and writing.  I write flash fiction, but I’d like to get better at writing longer short stories.  I read and write in Brookline, Massachusetts when I get home from my day job.

Posted: 15 January 2011 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  240
Joined  2005-09-15

Glad to have you here and look forward to more flash fiction if it’s as good as that email piece. Welcome aboard.

Posted: 15 January 2011 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2006-07-29

New Girl,

Welcome to Litmocracy! Gimme a shout if you need any navigational help, or anything else. Looking forward to reading more from you!

-Star

Signature 

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Editing your stuff: Because an apostrophe is often all that stands between writers who know their shit and writers who know they’re shit.

Posted: 16 January 2011 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-01-15

Thank you!  I actually do need navigation help.  Was trying to figure it out on my own before I asked, but I think I’m having issues…
When I click on the creative writing category, it says I’ve ranked everything in that category, but there’s a long list of stories I haven’t read.  It does the same thing for the 99 burning lit category, but I haven’t read the two stories that are listed there.  There’s nothing under the pink line “The next item to add to your list” for those categories.  Can you help?

Thanks!

Posted: 16 January 2011 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2006-07-29

Hi alesiram,

Thanks for bringing this up. We’ve been having some issues with the code for voting which sometimes doesn’t allow you to view all the submissions. Great to hear that you’re reading and voting though, and we’re working on fixing this so you can read some more!

Dave is working on it, so will keep you posted smile

- Star

Signature 

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Editing your stuff: Because an apostrophe is often all that stands between writers who know their shit and writers who know they’re shit.

Posted: 16 January 2011 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2005-08-30

Hi Alesiram,

You are exactly on the right track when you start looking at other subcategories under Creative Writing.  If you go to “Humor/Satire” or “Poetry/Lyrics”, you’ll find more things to read and vote on.  You’ll also notice that your list will still show the Short Stories you’ve added to it.  You can vote over all the items in the Creative Writing category by visiting “Creative Writing” instead of “Short Story”.

There are a lot of stories that are no longer being considered for publication, but they are still listed in their categories.  Some have been accepted and others have not.  The voting system only holds 25 stories for Creative Writing (and 25 for Non-fiction).  How those 25 are divided out into the subcategories (like “Short Story” and “99 Burning”) depends on what people have posted recently.  Every time all 25 slots in Creative Writing are filled and someone submits a new piece, the bottom piece gets knocked off the list (but remains in the category).  Also, when a piece in the list is accepted into Literal Translations, it is removed from the list of 25.

I just changed the message so that it explains most of this.  If it can be clearer without getting too complicated, please let me know.  I thrive on that kind of stuff!

Thanks,
Dave.

Posted: 21 January 2011 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  343
Joined  2006-12-13

Whatever he says, it’s probably true.

Posted: 22 January 2011 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-01-15

thanks for the clarification!  i get it now.